JOB TODAY is Europe’s first and leading mobile hiring app for jobs in hospitality, retail, and other service sectors. We help a million people a month find and fill great jobs fast using an informal, social-oriented system that lets people show off their skills and their personality. In the short time since launching in 2015, we have have attracted hundreds of thousands of employers, processed over 65 million job applications, and raised over $30m from elite investors such as Accel Partners, Mangrove, Felix, and Flint. We’re at the top of the app charts and we’re making progress toward our dream of building a place where 100 million people come every single day to make their lives better. Now we need you to make that happen!
As a Senior Backend Engineer on the team, you will be passionate about building a great product, understanding our business, and both understanding and delighting our users. You like working on hard problems, and especially hard scale-oriented problems, and have great intuition for when to hack and when to engineer. You are smart, creative, curious, humble, and also self-driven to make things better. We’re a small team and everyone matters and makes a real impact and that impact will inspire you. You will have a good academic and practical foundation, but we know that smart, self-driven people can fill in most skill gaps quickly. Does this sound like you?
What you will get to do
- Innovate, implement, and iterate on our online and offline server infrastructure and codebase
- Actively contribute to product strategy across the board
- Combine data, experience, and intuition to delight and astound our users
- Operate within a strong devops culture, with ownership covering all parts of the software lifecycle from concept through development, testing, and support
- Work on algorithmic systems that may cover NLP, classification, recommendation, and optimization for topics such as fraud and spam detection, category and semantic extraction, job matching, and more
- Orchestrate an Amazon cloud empire that uses Lambda, Redshift, Kinesis, and the latest infrastructure technologies to serve millions of users and hundreds of millions of requests monthly
- Collaborate with others across our engineering, product, design, and commercial teams
What you should have to land the job (today)
- At least 5 years of experience in production backend development, preferably at significant scale
- Deep understanding of lean software development: build, measure, learn, iterate – code with a clear purpose and experiment with metrics in mind
- Good sense of responsibility to ship quick, quality releases for a highly used and loved app – an innate understanding of when to go fast and when to go slow
- Solid foundations in general software engineering and both systems and release engineering concepts
- Strong analytical and technical problem solving skills
- Knowledge of Java (or similar) within a web services context
- Proficiency with relational and non-relational database and data pipeline concepts
- Expertise with cloud systems architecture
- Fluency with Linux and open source systems administration
- Exposure to statistical and algorithmic development, and the use or implementation of machine learning libraries and approaches, is a big plus
- Professional working proficiency with English
- Degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering
Why you should join us
- You’ll be part of a growing international team building an exciting product that’s making a real difference in the lives of everyday people
- You’ll have significant ownership, autonomy, and impact on a chart leading app
- You’ll be proud of your work, helping millions of people find jobs within 24 hours!
- You’ll get a competitive compensation package
- You’ll get to work in Luxembourg, an amazing country nestled between Belgium, France and Germany that’s great for families, outdoor enthusiasts, foodies, people who enjoy shorter commutes, Europhiles, and everyone in between.
When can you start?
- Apply now by using the contact form below.
- Direct applicants only, please
- European citizens only, please
- Relocation assistance possible
- We are an equal opportunity company and we welcome smart people of all types