Read all the information about this opportunity carefully, then use the application button below to send your CV and application.
We are currently recruiting Analytical Scientists to work within the Isotope and Particle Analysis team within Materials & Analytical Science. The applicant will be joining a world class capability that supports several programmes for Nuclear Threat Reduction including Nuclear Forensics and Safeguards whilst also contributing to AWE's core mission.
We provide a capability that utilises Light Microscopy, Electron Microscopy and isotopic analysis by Thermal Ionisation Mass Spectrometry (TIMS) or Secondary Ionisation Mass Spectrometry (SIMS). The collection of techniques ensures we have a mixed discipline team providing technical expertise that is essential to meet unique and specific customer requirements.
The ideal candidate would have relevant academic background and have 5 years' experience using SIMS instruments or have transferable skills from similar techniques in the field of mass spectrometry. The successful candidate will be expected to use their experience to perform analysis of radioactive samples, participate in proficiency tests whilst being involved in research and development projects. Outputs traditionally include analytical reports, technical reports, presentations and working collaboratively with other teams.
Ideally, we are looking for the successful candidate to have:
• A degree/PhD level science qualification, in chemistry, geology, environmental sciences or physics ideally with experience in forensic applications.
• Knowledge or experience in mass spectrometry (SIMS).
• Experience working in clean room environment would be beneficial
• Good communication skills, both written and oral, and able to communicate information in a clear and concise manner.
• Organisational skills; capable of multi-tasking, identifying and managing priorities to meet defined t...