The following information provides an overview of the skills, qualities, and qualifications needed for this role.
We are currently recruiting for a Radiochemical Specialist to work within the Radiochemical Sciences Team within Materials & Analytical Science (MAS) Function. The successful applicant will be supporting several programmes for Nuclear Threat Reduction including Nuclear Forensics whilst also contributing to AWE's core mission.
We perform radiochemical separations and purifications in order to isolate radionuclides of interest. The team also have the capability which utilises a range of measurement techniques including liquid scintillation counting, alpha spectrometry and multi-collection inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry (MC-ICP-MS).
This a multi-disciplinary role where you can be expected to support radiochemical sample preparations, participate in proficiency tests, conduct research and development as well as perform analysis of radiochemical samples.
Ideally, we are looking for the successful candidate to have:
• A degree level science qualification, preferably in chemistry, environmental sciences or a related field.
• Knowledge and/or experience in working in a structured laboratory environment, radiochemistry or mass spectrometry.
• Good communication skills, both written and oral, and able to communicate information in a clear and concise manner.
• Organisational skills; capable of multi-tasking, identifying and managing priorities to meet defined time scales.
• Good problem solving and analytical skills
• Experience of working within a team towards common goals.
• A positive attitude and able to adapt well to change.
• Willingness to represent AWE externally and able to travel abroad if required